We’re kicking off the new year with the same focus as most of you – to improve ourselves in the coming months. Whether that’s weight loss, more energy, or just cooking more healthful food at home, we’re taking on our new year changes one step at a time. And in the case of this General Slim’s chicken stir-fry makeover by 17 Day Diet — one bite and one cycle at a time!
The 17 Day Diet just nabbed a spot in the top five of our annual Most Popular Diets of the Year list, outranking Weight Watchers, Biggest Loser and Diet to Go. Most impressive, it’s been in that top five since its debut three years ago when it was the number one diet of the year! Since that first self-published book from Dr. Mike Moreno, Simon and Schuster have bought the rights and worked with the man known casually as Dr. Mike to produce a series of books including a cookbook and an anti-aging plan. Before the clock struck midnight for 2020, the newest book in the series hit shelves – The 17 Day Diet Breakthrough Edition.
The best selling weight loss plan offers three new chapters focusing on subjects like whey protein, supplements, and even a fasting day. But the part we love most are the 50 new recipes! Some of your soon-to-be faves include Cream Light Fettucine Alfredo, Elegant Poached Salmon with Dill Sauce, Harvest French Toast, and even Mom’s Apple Pie.
This new stir fry recipe was our favorite from the book, hands down. Not only is it easy – as in so entirely not complicated you have no excuses not to make this! – but it also tastes amazing.
For this General Slim’s Chicken, lots of big flavor comes from simple, natural ingredients like red pepper flakes, soy sauce, agave, and garlic.
Bulk up on satisfying fiber with the rice and broccoli, and satiety is guaranteed with the lean chicken.
Tossed together in minutes, you’ve got a no-brainer weeknight dinner that everyone in the family will like.
It’s anything but diet food, but as each cycle of the 17 Day Diet does, meals like this featured throughout the brand’s books will help you learn how to rely on real food to support your weight loss or maintenance.
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup cold water
14 ounce bag frozen broccoli florets
2 tsp. minced garlic
3 Tbsp. agave nectar
2 Tbsp. light soy sauce
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
3 large eggs, well beaten
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in to 1-inch chunks
vegetable cooking spray
1 cup cooked rice
1. In a small bowl, whisk 1 tablespoon of cornstarch and water until very smooth. Add the garlic, agave, soy sauce, and red pepper flakes; toss to combine and set aside.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk egg and remaining cornstarch. Add chicken and toss to coat.
3. Boil broccoli over medium-high heat until just tender. Drain and set aside.
4. Spray a large nonstick skillet with vegetable cooking spray. Remove the chicken from the egg mixture and place in skillet. Over medium-high heat, sauté, turning occasionally, until golden and cooked throughout.
5. Add the broccoli and stir.
6. Add the cornstarch mixture. Cook until sauce has thickened.
7. Serve with rice (1/2 cup per serving). Makes 2 servings. Use on cycles 2 to 4.
Try More 17 Day Diet Recipes:
Recipe published from 17 Day Diet Breakthrough Edition with permission from Simon and Schuster. Photos by Kacy Meinecke.