At least one-third of annual cancer deaths in the United States are related to dietary factors. Increased fruit and vegetable consumption can reduce cancer risk, but less than one-third of U.S. adults eat the recommended servings of fruit and vegetables every day, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Eating healthy, including fruits and vegetables loaded with phytochemicals (powerful antioxidants), and following a low fat diet helps people manage weight and prevent disease! Think about it, every day you have choices of what to eat. You have the power to keep yourself healthy from the inside out.
What’s even more is that if you do get breast cancer, you can actually prevent recurrence by following a low fat diet.
The Women’s Intervention Nutrition Study (WINS) has shown that breast cancer survivors who cut their fat intake and increase their fruit and vegetable intake reduce their recurrence rate by 24 percent. For survivors with estrogen-receptor-negative tumors, the reduction is 42 percent.
Forty-two percent chance of preventing cancer recurrence?! That’s just amazing to me.
Here’s a run down on the fruit and veggie colors and what they can do for you:
- Red – Contain nutrients such as lycopene, ellagic acid, and Quercetin. They lower blood pressure, LDL (bad) cholesterol, and reduce the risk of cancer. Anti-inflammatory properties help with arthritis too.
- Orange and Yellow – Contain beta-carotene, zeaxanthin, flavonoids, lycopene, potassium, and vitamin C. They promote eye health, reduce the risk of prostate cancer, lower LDL cholesterol and blood pressure, promote collagen formation and healthy joints.
- Green – Contain chlorophyll, fiber, lutein, zeaxanthin, calcium, folate, vitamin C, calcium, and beta-carotene. They reduce cancer risks, lower blood pressure and LDL cholesterol levels, normalize digestion time, support retinal health and vision, fight harmful free-radicals, and boost immune system activity.
- Blue and Purple – Contain nutrients which include lutein, zeaxanthin, resveratrol, vitamin C, fiber, flavonoids, ellagic acid, and quercetin. They support eye health, lower LDL cholesterol, boost immune system activity, support healthy digestion, fight inflammation, reduce tumor growth, and act as an anticarcinogens in the digestive tract.
- White – Contain nutrients such as beta-glucans, EGCG, SDG, and lignans that provide powerful immune boosting activity. These nutrients also reduce the risk of colon, breast, and prostate cancers, and balance hormone levels, reducing the risk of hormone-related cancers.