We’ve already showcased some of the worst drinks at Starbucks, so today we thought that we’d take a look at the rest of the Starbucks’ menu — the food. About a year and a half ago, this popular coffee-shop chain added more waist-friendly and nutritious options than just scones and muffins to go along with those lattes.
While the food item offerings are healthier in that they don’t include high fructose corn syrup and artificial ingredients, we wondered how they would stack up to the recommendations of our registered dietitian Rebecca Scritchfield who says that meals should have less than 500 calories and less than 500 milligrams of sodium, according to the the new daily sodium recommendations. So, we took a look!
Healthiest Meals at Starbucks
1. Chicken on Flatbread with Hummus Artisan Snack Plate. Sure, this may be a “snack,” but with 250 calories, 17 grams of protein and 5 grams of fiber, it can serve as a light lunch. The entire plate has 520 milligrams of sodium, so just be sure to leave a bite or two of hummus on the plate to meet the sodium recommendation.
2. Fruit, Nut & Cheese Artisan Snack Plate. Starbucks is into these snack plates and so are we! With 460 calories, 19 grams of protein, 6 grams of fiber and 510 milligrams of sodium (again, leave a couple bites of cheese on your plate), this is an even heartier plate than the Chicken on Flatbread with Hummus Artisan Snack Plate.
3. Protein Artisan Snack Plate. Enjoy a cage-free hard-boiled egg, grapes, cheese and whole-grain bread with this plate that has 370 calories, 13 grams of protein, 4 grams of fiber and 470 milligrams of sodium. Funny that it actually has less protein than the other plates, but whatever. Still a good source!
4. Starbucks Perfect Oatmeal with Dried Fruits and Nut Toppings. This is your go-to Starbucks breakfast! A hot cup of this clocks in at a hearty 340 calories with only 115 milligrams of sodium, and 6 grams of fiber and 7 grams of protein. Talk about fuel!
5. Farmer’s Market Salad. This salad is a nice vegetarian mix of romaine lettuce topped with crumbled blue cheese, dried cranberries, julienned carrots, sliced apples and slivered almonds. For only 230 calories, 470 milligrams of sodium, 5 grams of fiber and 8 grams of protein, you can’t go wrong!
6. Picnic Pasta Salad. Another tasty salad option, this one features diced white chicken, shredded carrots, grape tomatoes, diced zucchini and Farfalle pasta in a red wine vinaigrette dressing. The whole salad has 320 calories, 480 milligrams of sodium, 3 grams of fiber and 16 grams of protein, making it a winner.
7. Half of a Roma Tomato & Mozzarella Sandwich with Deluxe Fruit Blend. If salads aren’t your thing, try pairing half of this veggie sandwich with Starbuck’s side of fresh fruit. For 280 calories, you’ll get 300 milligrams of sodium, 3 grams of fiber and 8 grams of protein. And you’ll have half of the sandwich to take home for another meal!
So many healthy options!
Wendy’s Healthiest Menu Choices
McDonald’s Healthiest Menu Choices
Healthiest Menu Choices at Burger King
Healthiest Menu Choices at Taco Bell
Healthiest Menu Choices at Chipotle