Snacking isn’t the evil that everyone portrays it to be in a diet. In fact, a healthy snack has a tremendously powerful presence in your daily caloric intake. Of course, what you choose to snack on is key – chocolate cupcakes and Cheetos won’t give you the edge that almonds can. (Darn it!)
The timing of your snacks is extremely important to your weight loss success, too. Try to have a mid-morning snack and a mid-afternoon snack, both in the neighborhood of about 300 calories, to keep your blood sugar level and help you avoid overindulgence at the next meal. Here are some great, healthy choices to keep on hand.
- Mixed nuts, especially almonds or boiled peanuts
- Sliced fruit
- Veggie sticks – carrots and celery, broccoli and cauliflower
- Fruit smoothie – blend together fruit juice, protein powder and frozen fruits
- String cheese and a handful of whole grain crackers
- Three whole wheat mini muffins with a spoonful of peanut butter
- A cup of low-fat yogurt
- Acup of dry cereal – toss in a few chocolate chips for sweetness
What are some of your favorite snacks?