By Gary Ditsch, Retrofit Lead Exercise Physiologist
We’ve all heard the saying, “A little bit goes a long way.” When it comes to weight loss, common advice is to make big changes to get quick and substantial results. While rapid results can be motivating and encouraging, the long-term value of these changes are only observed when they become habits. The process of adopting small changes can can be beneficial when it results in lifelong weight loss maintenance.
In the spirit of making small changes, here are 10 ways to burn an extra 100 calories throughout the day:
1. Walk. Choose to walk instead of drive if you’re going somewhere nearby. 18 minutes of walking will burn 100 calories.
2. Climb. Instead of taking elevators or escalators, take the stairs. A cumulative 15 minutes and 20 seconds of stair climbing can burn 100 calories.
3. Yardwork. Mow the lawn for 13 minutes and say goodbye to those calories.
4. Clean the House. Cleaning, sweeping and other general house work can burn 100 calories in about 19 minutes. (more…)
One of our fave fitness gals, Erin Kreitz Shirey, is full of tips for working smarter, not harder, and living well. She runs Power Fitness PDX, a training center that specializes in small group classes, and she also writes about fitness. In fact, Kreitz Shirey recently contributed to an online guide to making 2023 your best year yet and we absolutely love what she had to say. (See pages 17 and 18 of the guide for a full run-down of her ideas.)
Our favorite tips from Kreitz Shirey:
- Stay motivated by signing up for races: Try registering for events that happen every few months so that you fit in one each season. If you’re always striving to reach a goal, you’ll always be training. (more…)
If your health is demanding that you take steps to lose more than 50 pounds, you definitely have your work cut out for you. It’s not unattainable, in fact, quite the opposite. By following these ten tips to lose more than 50 pounds and making lifestyle changes a priority, you can and will see results.
1. Diet: Reduce your caloric intake and beware of your portion sizes as well as fat intake.
2. Exercise: Try to get at least five days in the gym (where ever you can exercise) a week for at least an hour at a time.
3. Avoid sitting around: Avoid sitting in one place for an extended period of time. Try and stay up and moving as much as possible. (more…)
Diet and exercise are the two main ingredients in the weight loss equation. A combination of the two will help you shed the unwanted inches and pounds. I recommend focusing on how you feel and how your clothes fit rather than on the numbers (scale weight). Try hitting cardio before you eat breakfast in the morning to burn a little extra fat as well as later in the day.
Losing 50 pounds is not something that is going to happen overnight and you need to stay motivated and dedicated throughout the entire process. Stick to a good, healthy diet and five full days of exercise and you will see results in no time. So, try and do cardio twice a day (jog, walk, or bike) and hit the total body endurance training program below. (more…)
Losing weight requires plenty of mental toughness and dedication. Below are the top 10 ways to lose 25 pounds. Good luck and stay focused!!
1. Clean out the fridge: Throw out all the unhealthy junk food in the house and replace it with healthy choices.
2. Cancel your cable: Sitting around and watching television will not help you reach your goal.
3. Exercise: Focus on cardio and weight training three to five times a week. (more…)
Diet, Diet, Diet!! Losing weight is no fun and can be very defeating. But staying motivated and dedicated will help you persevere in the end. Your diet is the most important factor in weight loss. I recommend eating smaller portions, but eating more often. Focus on variation as well as low fat and low carbohydrate foods, as in the MyPyramid.
Exercising or staying physically active should be your second main focus. If you are sitting for more than thirty minutes at any one setting, you are doing something wrong. I understand that your everyday life makes it difficult to do so, but do the best you can and go from there. (more…)
Have you lost some weight, but are now having trouble losing the last five to ten pounds to reach your goal? I strongly believe that the last few pounds are the hardest and most frustrating ones. You need to either increase your level of exercising and diet harder, or completely change everything up to keep your body guessing.
Top 5 Ways To Lose The Last 5 to 10 Pounds
- Increase your exercise frequency (how often), exercise intensity (how hard), exercise time (how long), and type of exercise (walking, jogging, biking, running). By doing these four things, you will constantly keep the from adapting to the previous workouts and continue to see results. (more…)