Editor at The Cooking Channel and also a chef and writer, Suzanne Leher says it’s near impossible for her not to order chicken lettuce wraps if they’re anywhere on a menu. So what’s a chef to do with her favorite dish? Replicate it at home of course!
Suzanne created this recipe that she says just may convince you to throw out your takeout menus and hit the kitchen.
Cool, crunchy Bibb lettuce serves as the perfect pairing for gingery-hot chicken sautéed with sweet and crunchy carrots. Rice noodles stir-fried with sesame oil and red bell peppers, then topped with chopped peanuts and scallions make the perfect side for filling but healthy dinner.
Chicken adds lean protein, peanuts offer omega 3 fatty acids, and the vegetables add vitamins A, E and C. The best part? The whole recipe can be made in less than 30 minutes!
A summer favorite at Plated,* these wraps are sure to be a hit with everyone!
What You Need at Home: Mixing bowls, Grill pan, Kosher salt, Black pepper
– 4 ounces thick rice noodles
– 1 tablespoon soy sauce
– 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon rice wine or brown rice vinegar
– ½ tablespoon fish sauce
– 3 tablespoons sesame oil
– 1 red bell pepper, halved, seeded, very thinly sliced
– 12 ounces ground chicken
– 1 large carrot, diced
– 3 clovers garlic, minced
– 1 inch ginger, peeled and minced
– 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
– 4 leaves bibb
– ¼ cup roasted peanuts, roughly chopped
– 3 tablespoons Thai basil, chopped
– 2 scallions, white and light green parts, thinly sliced, for garnish
1. Prepare noodles: prepare a bowl of boiling water, then submerge noodles and let soak until softened, 15 to 20 minutes, then drain.
2. Make sauce and prep vegetables: While the noodles soak, whisk together soy sauce, fish sauce and 1 teaspoon vinegar. Set aside. Slice the bell pepper, dice the carrots, and mince the garlic and ginger.
3. Cook chicken: Heat a large pan with 1 ½ tablespoons sesame oil. Add the chicken and season with salt and pepper, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until browned on all sides but not cooked through, about 3 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate with a slotted spoon.
4. Cook Vegetables: Add the carrots, garlic and ginger to the pan and sauté over medium heat until softened and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Pour in 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar and scrape up all the browned bits at the bottom of the pan. Cook for 2 minutes.
5. Finish Cooking Chicken: Pour in hoisin sauce and add chicken back to pan. Stir together to coat chicken. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Serve in lettuce cups.
6. Stir Fry Noodles: Heat 1 tablespoon sesame oil in another large pan. Add noodles and bell peppers, and stir-fry until noodles are hot and lightly crispy, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and toss with soy sauce dressing, peanuts and Thai basil.
Also Try These DietsInReview.com Original Recipes:
*advertising link. Images via Plated